Sunday, September 2, 2007

Medium Derek Acorah Discusses His New Project

Great Britain's best-known medium on who he’s friendly (and not so friendly) with in the spirit world, meeting the ancient ghosts of Egypt, and why he’s not a bad fella really...

You’re back with your new show, Paranormal Egypt. Tell us about it.
Derek Acorah: The energy and adrenalin in Egypt was like nothing I’ve ever felt before. I’m still tingling. Even Sam (Derek’s spirit guide) was taken aback. He said he felt at home. He’s Ethiopian and lived 2,000 years ago, but he knew there were a lot of Ethiopians in Ancient Egypt, and he was telling me the spirits were thrilled I was there.

What sort of investigations did you do there?
DA: Well, I communicated with the mummy of Queen Hatshepsut, the greatest ever female Pharaoh. And I conversed with Tutankhamun and was told how he really died.

Do you have a favourite era you’ve visited?
DA: Ancient Egypt would be right up there, but I’d have to have been wealthy and not someone who built the pyramids. They may be incredible monuments, but the people who worked on them had a terrible life, as they told me when I made contact with them. The work was awful, backbreaking. You started at 14 and didn’t finish until you were about 35 – if you lived that long. There was a high level of child death.

Do you get recognised a lot in the street? What do people say?
DA: I do get recognised and it’s lovely. People say, ‘We miss you on Most Haunted, it’s not the same without you.’ Then out of the blue they’ll say, ‘I lost my mum last week,’ or ‘I lost my son in a terrible tragedy,’ or ‘My husband had a heart attack at work and didn’t come home.’ If their loved one is there with me, I will help, but if not, then I’ll tell them.

What was your first ever job?
DA: At 15 I signed for Liverpool football club as an apprentice professional. I also played for Wrexham, then Ireland and eventually Australia. I was a player coach for an Australian first division team for four years, but I had a knee injury so retired. When I came home I worked as a security guard, before practising as a spiritualist medium.

Who would play you in a film of your life?
DA: It’s weird you ask that, because someone only said recently that my life would make a good film. I don’t know, it’s not something I’ve thought about. Dustin Hoffman or Jon Voight, either of those would make good Derek Acorahs.

What is your guiltiest pleasure?
DA: Smoking. I did cut down to between five and seven a day for a while, now I’m back up to 15 or 20 – but nowhere near the 40 a day I used to smoke. I will give up soon, though.

What are your best and worst features?
DA: On the downside I talk too much – typical Liverpudlian! Plus, I eat too much, I’m a bit podgy right now. I also snore and I drive too fast. I’m irritable when I’m not working and don’t relax enough. On the upside, I’m generous of heart. I adore people and love listening to their stories, and I’m a sucker for animals. Put me with animals and I’m a happy man.

Who would you like to be stuck in a lift with?
DA: Freddie Mercury. Now, there’s a man who would have some great stories to tell. I haven’t contacted him yet, but I hope to some day. It certainly wouldn’t be boring being trapped for hours with Fred. Also, depending on the space, John Lennon, my good old friend Emlyn Hughes and Myleene Klass, she’s lovely, a superb human being.

What’s your favourite food and drink?
DA: Spaghetti bolognese, as made by my lovely wife Gwen. She does the best spag bol in the world. I like the odd steak as well, and a bit of duck. As for drink, I don’t drink beer any more, but I like a nice glass of wine.

What’s your pet hate?
DA: I hate it when people gas off about others. I prefer to take people as I find them, and I won’t stay long in someone’s company if they are slagging someone off.

Do you have any phobias?
DA: I have a fear of heights, which has grown in the last year or two. I don’t know why, because I was such a monkey as a kid – I’d climb anything.

If you were invisible for the day, what would you do?
DA: I would go to visit every person I’ve ever fallen out with. I’d be a fly on the wall and just listen to see if they still held any grudges or were speaking negatively about me. If they were, I’d plan my revenge. Ha-ha!

Derren Brown spoke out against you and other mediums. What do you have to say to your critics?
DA: He’s actually denied the things he said about me. But I’d love to have a proper chat with Derren – if I chatted to him as a spirit, then there would be no way he could deny an afterlife then. Ha!

What’s the best piece of advice you’ve ever been given?
DA: To always treat people equally, regardless of wealth or status.

Do you prefer baths or showers?
DA: I like a nice shower, and only occasionally take baths. I’m lucky to have one of those spa bath things with all the bubbles and little jets that massage your back, so I take more baths now than I used to.

Have you ever stolen anything?
DA: Yes, I did. It was when I was about eight. My sister Barbra and I liked to go swimming, but we didn’t have the money this time. In those days my grandfather lived with us. It’s despicable, but I went into his wallet and took some money and we went off to the swimming baths. I did replace the money a few weeks later, but the guilt has stayed with me all my life.

What’s been your biggest splurge?
DA: My house in Spain. When I’m there with my wife and the family it’s the best thing. It wasn’t easy financially, but it was well worthwhile.

Do you speak Spanish?
DA: I know a little bit. Enough to order a nice glass of wine…

Which celebrity would you not invite to a dream dinner party?
DA: The only person who would not make a good dinner guest is Frank Sinatra. I won’t say why, suffice to say I have contacted him and he wouldn’t be invited.

What do you think about before falling asleep?
DA: The next day, mostly. I visualise myself waking up refreshed. I always tell myself that no matter what the next day brings, I will make the most of it and try to enjoy every day as if it’s my last.