Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Messenger, Harbinger or Omen?


I received an email last evening in response to several of the Mothman related posts made on 'Phantoms and Monsters'. I attempted to keep the content as original as possible:

Hello sir - a friend referred me to your articles about strange occurrences in West Virginia. The Mothman encounters stirred memories of an incident that took place when I was a girl.

The strange incident took place near Powellton, WV in December 1934 - I was 8 years old. At the time, my father worked for Elkhorn-Piney Coal. He and the other miners from our area would take a train to the mine each day.

The day before Christmas Eve my father mentioned an unusual sighting he and the others on the train had while traveling back home that evening. As they looked out towards the east they noticed a very large bird flying above the trees. My father was a very conservative man and didn't believe in any nonsense but this large bird really caught his attention. He described it as a freakish sized owl very dark in color. It also seemed to look at the train as it flew over the trees. Nobody on the train could figure out what it was. The mere fact that my father even mentioned it suggested that it must have been an extraordinary sight.

My father was scheduled off from work for 3 days during the Christmas holiday. On December 27th, he was getting ready for work but said he felt poorly. My mother was concerned because he had a high fever and awful chills. She insisted he stay home and telephoned the doctor. My father was reluctant on staying home and put up a good argument but my mother was not going to back down. She put him to bed and waited for the doctor.

Well, we waited for hours until the telephone rang. The operator told my mother that the doctor was at McDunn - there had been a horrible train explosion. She couldn't talk but said that the doctor's wife asked her to contact us. My mother was pale when she told my father what had happened. I remember they both started praying and crying. For years both of them thought the large bird was an angel sent by God as a warning and that my father's life was saved for a reason.

My father never went back to the mine. It turned out that he had contracted polio though he was very lucky since he survived it with only a slight limp. We soon moved away to a small town in Kentucky where my father found the calling and become a Pentecostal preacher. He told his story of survival to anyone who would listen until the day he died. Thank you sir, Emma

NOTE: the disaster that Emma was referring to was the Locomotive Boiler Explosion at McDunn. On December 27, 1934, a boiler in a locomotive hauling mine workers at McDunn in Fayette County, WV exploded, resulting in the death of eighteen miners.  Interesting story...Lon

-----


The witness from Communion With The Mothman wanted to answer inquiries from the readers:

Lon...I saw the comments to my post and wanted to respond without them knowing who I am. If it's OK with you I'll give you the responses and maybe you can post them.

First of all, the one said "..wait a minute. It was December when this happened...seems a bit odd to be camping at that time of the year." My response is that it was unseasonably warm and we were coming from an area that was hours away to the north. We also were used to camping in all kinds of weather and enjoyed doing this. In the 1960's a lot of people did this all year long. The other two remarked that the post was hard to follow, jumping around a lot. If they would tell me what they needed to know perhaps I could answer that for them.

The first time I talked to a neurologist about my childhood and how bad it really was, they wanted to know how I and the others had survived it all. I've had traumatic childhood amnesia most of my life and most of that "wasn't" caused by my home life. This is what my doctors told me. They knew what I'm just now dealing with in the form of memories that are resurfacing. People don't understand when they read something for fun. They don't understand that this did happen. This creature is real and there's more than one of them. Lon, thanks for being understanding.