Friday, November 19, 2010

Minnesota DNR Cougar Denials - First Person Report

My post of the following article - Dead cougar marks 7th confirmed sighting in 14 months - prompted the following response from a Minnesota reader:

Hi Lon, I just wanted to tell you about the Minnesota DNR and the so-called cougar non cover-up. Back in 1995 I lived in Rush City, Minnesota, about 3 and a half miles south of town. We had 90 acre's of back woods with a few swamps here and there. And also I'm a deer hunter so I know the woods like the back of my hand, and I walked the entire 90 acre's looking for any sign's of deer well before the season starts. Trust me when I say I know animal tracks, and we have a large assortment of animals living in these woods, from mice to bears. Well one day in June of 1995 I was just out for a slow walk through the woods just enjoying the sights and sounds of what the Minnesota back woods have to offer. And like always I pay attention to tracks when ever I spot one, and this one caught my eye right away. It was a cat track...a "BIG-CAT" track, with only four paws and no claw marks what so ever. So I always carry a bag of plaster and a thermos of water and also a container for mixing the plaster, I always carried these with me in case I came across a large bear track or of some other critter that stands out from the norm. Well I cast the big cat track, which was a lot bigger than a Bobcat or Lynx track. This track was around 41/2" inches across, and these where the first Cougar tracks I had spotted in our back woods. All in all there where about 3 visible tracks in this small patch of bare ground, and one track really stood out, so this was the one I made a cast of. And I headed back home with my special cast I had just made of a cougar. I called the DNR as soon as I returned home, and they put me in contact with the Hinckley DNR office, which has been closed down now for about 8 years. But I talked to a Game Warden who happened to be in the office at the time I called, I explained to him my finding of the cougar tracks and he said he would swing by and take a look at them, and he also asked what time I get off work, so I told him about the time I get home. Well they just happened to drop by when I was still at work, ( go figure ) and talked to my wife, they wanted to see the plaster cast I had made of the so called cougar track, well they told her it was a bear track, and took my cast with them and said they would return it in a few days. Guess what, they never did, and they told my wife not to tell anyone about the track because it would just get the public unsettled. I was so upset when I got home...a bear track I thought, how dumb did they think I was, a bear track is bigger and has five clawed toes not four unclawed. So that's when I knew the DNR was trying to cover it up. And I have never called them again to report a cougar track, and I've seen a lot of them over the past few years. Dan Roth,...P.S. Lon you may post this if you wish. And Thanks for the great reading you give to us all.





Click for audio report

NOTE: I have received several similar inquiries to the lack of confirmation by various DNR's throughout the United States...in particular Minnesota, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Michigan. I can understand that these agencies do not want to start a panic and stir a rush of sightings...but there does need to be assurance given to witnesses that their reports are taken seriously...Lon